Saturday, April 25, 2009

Interests

I like to work on complex and challenging tasks but I get even the mundane tasks done as fast as I can. I feel like life presents each of us with challenges that need to be taken seriously. I need to work on enjoying life. I do believe that work done out of interest gets done better next only to work done out of need.

I like to read on a variety of topics and the interest changes over time. I have never finished lengthy novels and tend to like short stories with an interesting twist. I like to read politics, business, science and technology, but never wordy prose and thesis. I like to read the sports page on the aftermath of a big event, especially cricket. Rarely, I read technical books. I feel authoring is an art and very few get it right. It is vey difficult to engage a fleeting mind for a long time without a conversation style writing.

I like to listen to melodious music and sing in the bathroom. I am quick in grasping the tunes and repeating it. I feel this quality could be acquired. Apparently, learning or performing music, or at the very least, listening to music is good for conditioning the brain, and I have experienced this first hand.

I like to play Volleyball a lot. Recently, my team came very close to winning a tournament (24-26, 25-20, 24-26) and I thoroughly enjoyed the heart thumping performance and the team spirit. I helped in team strategizing and played my very best in a long time. I would like to become a volleyball coach and looking for avenues.

I have started liking chess lately. I feel chess provides valuable lessons for life - patience, decision making, focus/concentration. I used to hate chess, as a child, thinking that it is a very laid back game and only nerds would play it. Especially, the lack of physical activity, I felt, was a no-no. I have learnt that it is useful as a mind game. I plan to continue that as a hobby. When my son grows, I want to play with him. My wife plays decent chess even without much practise. I was happy when I defeated her the first time after weeks of playing against the computer.

I like to talk about philosophy of life and spirituality. I have experienced a few different philosophies but I could not take it all the way. I feel meditation and prayers are very important for conditioning the brain. I would like to start meditating on a regular basis and experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment